CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 08, 2007

This Is How We Do The Old To The New...Thursdays

Okay, I know some people mentioned getting peeved when they hear the beginning melody of a song and they think they’re about to jam to an old favorite. Then, surprise! It’s not an old favorite after all but a remake by another artist or a sample of the beat and a totally new song by a different artist. That happens to me a lot too. But how about when you hear the melody and beat and get ready to get down dancing and the sample is being used in a gospel song? That happened to me every time Mary, Mary’s “Heaven” came on the radio. I always thought that The Honey Cone’s “Want Ads” was about to come on. I would get all hyped and start moving and dancing in preparation for “Wanted, young man single and free. Experience in love preferred, but will accept a young trainee. Ohhhhh ohhhhh.” Then I’d feel bad for shaking my bootie to a church song. LOL. When this song came out in 1971, I was probably barely a year old. But luckily for me they played a lot of good old music in the house when I was growing up. I remember falling in love with this song and dancing to it when I was a kid. I don’t know why I loved this song so much when I probably had now idea at 6 or 7 years old what they were singing about. But my fast behind sure did dance and sing right along.

So, has that ever happened to you? Have you ever heard the beginning of a song already to dance and found yourself shaking your thing to a church song? Not in a “Crank That Holy Ghost” kind of way… But more like the similarities between the two songs below kind of way… Enjoy…

I'm flying to Ohio at 6:00 in the morning. If I have access to the internet, I'll check in later. If not, I check you all out when I get back on Saturday.

The Honey Cone, Want Ads



Mary, Mary, Heaven



much love and peace,

Gwyneth

6 comments:

Don said...

Then I’d feel bad for shaking my bootie to a church song. LOL.

lol

I've never heard Want Ads but I love me some Mary Mary. Especially Heaven.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Hey Don,

I like Mary, Mary too. The song "Heaven" won me over even though it kept tricking me. LOL.

Tyhitia Green said...

Gwyneth,
I love both songs!! They're both great! :*)

Don,
You've never heard "Want Ads?" Really?

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Hey Tyhitia! What's up, girl? :-)

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Gwyneth,
If you ever get to Chicago and have some free time in your schedule, please contact me ahead of time! While I love the city, I hate traveling there, but for you I'd do it!

Bettye

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Bettye ~ Will do! I can't wait to finally meet you. I know I'll be in Chicago for the Slam Jam. So hopefully we'll meet there...

Gwyneth