CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 01, 2007

This Is How We Do The Old To The New...Thursdays

Maybe it's always about a melody...

Last week's "Old to the New" made me remember the time I was in The Underground Atlanta and a band was playing The Isley Brother's "Between the Sheets." A young man said, "That's hot! They're playing that old school Biggie..." At the time I was too shocked that this youngster considered Biggie old school to be saddened that he didn't even realize that it was The Isley Brothers that the Bad Boy camp sampled... I mean when Puffy said "take hits from the eighties and make 'em sound so crazy..." he ain't neva lied. Anyway, I thought I'd give a little more space to The Notorious BIG and the notorious Mr. Big before he became Mr. Big, Ron Isley. That man has an amazing voice... Is he out of jail yet? Enjoy...

The Isley Brothers “Between the Sheets”



Biggie “Big Poppa”

7 comments:

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Ooh wee,love me some Isley Brothers, remember the year I graduated from high school, the two albums I played most that year was 'Fight the Power' with the Isleys anthem 'For the Love of You', and Natalie Coles, 'Inseperable'...I know I got off track, I love both versions of between the sheets...

giggling,
angelia

Gwyneth Bolton said...

The Isley Brothers had decades of hits... I don't know what other group can point to that kind of longevity... I loved "For the Love of You." "Cause I'm living... liv-ing... for the love of you..."

Gwyneth

PatriciaW said...

I didn't even have to click on these because I could hear either version in my head. I remember buying the Isley Brother's album with the glossy white satin sheets on the cover in high school. My father thought I'd lost my mind.

Then I hear it years later as a Notorious B.I.G. backdrop but it was one of the few remakes that I really liked.

Good pick!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Patricia ~ I'm cracking up at your statement about your dad thinking you had lost your mind. LOL.

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

I've always felt that Ronald Isley is one of the most underrated talents in the business. His voice is just beautiful.

I'm sorry for his tax troubles, but I can't help feeling that the man has been earning a living in the music business long enough to know not to try to gyp Uncle Sam . . . .

Incidentally, I chuckled when "New Edition" was featured as one of the Old School acts at the Essence Music Festival last July. Then I realized that it's probably been over 20 years since their heyday, which would qualify them.

I'm just getting old.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Bettye,

I hear you on New Edition and old school. That just sounds weird to me. But I guess they count. It might just be my resistance to having music that I grew up on called old school. LOL. It's hard when I still envision them as preteens singing "Candy Girl."

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

affiliate prophet -
affiliate video brander -
anti spyware -
art of approaching -
atomic blogging -
auction classified cash -
automated cash formula -
bbq book -
bloggers pay check -
blogging in action -
body building revealed -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
cheat your way thin -
chopper tattoo -
cleanup the profits -
cold sore freedom in 3 days -
commission blueprint -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure for bruxism -
declutter fast -
driver checker -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy member pro -
easy tv soft -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
fap turbo -
fatburningfurnace -
fat burning furnace -
fatloss4idiots -