CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Debut Authors Week: Meet LaConnie Taylor-Jones



Last but certainly not least is an author whose novel is hot off the presses. Her novel When I’m With You will be released this month and I can’t wait to read it. The blurb promises lots of passion and emotions and just a really good read. So, it is my pleasure to welcome my soror, LaConnie Taylor-Jones to my blog. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know a little bit more about you and your new novel.

1. So tell us a little bit about yourself. In addition to the standard biography, what’s one thing about you that most people would be surprised by?

Well, if you haven’t read my biography, I’m a native Memphian and a Health Educator Consultant by trade. Also, I’ve been an avid romance reader since I was a junior in college. In fact, I flunked my mid-term Organic Chemistry exam because I stayed up all night to finish reading a romance novel. However, what most people would be surprised to know is that with a husband and four kids, I can’t cook!!

2. Get out! Can’t cook a thing? I don’t believe it... LOL. Okay, tell us a little bit about your road to publication. What was it like getting the call? Holding your novel in your hands for the first time?

The road to publication was B-U-M-P-Y!!! It was long and tedious, but I never gave up on it!! I started writing When I’m With You in August 2003 and finally completed it in May 2005. However, getting agents interested in representing me was another challenge. I submitted the manuscript to sixty-eight agents. Eleven requested a partial, but afterwards, declined further interest. In November 2005, I gathered the courage to submit the manuscript directly to six publishing houses. By the spring 2006, three had requested the complete, and finally in October 2006, I got ‘THE CALL’ from Genesis Press. Holding that book in my hands for the first time was an awesome feeling!!! It was then that I realized how much had gone into turning a dream into reality.

3. Tell us a little bit about your novel, When I’m With You . What was your inspiration for writing it?



The story received 4-STARS from Romantic Times and deals with the damage caused when someone is in an abusive relationship, and what happens when the person suffering the abuse is too scared to tell their loved ones what’s going on. It also showcases the difficulties one faces when learning to trust after having suffered the shame, embarrassment, and betrayal during the relationship, and the importance of being able to forgive and forget while moving forward with your life. I wrote this story based on my experience as a health educator. Over the past eighteen years, I’ve taught health education, primarily to African American women in a community-based setting. Oftentimes, before I can lecture on the risk factors associated with chronic diseases disproportionately impacting African Americans, I have to deal with the social and economic deterrents these women face. Unfortunately, abusive relationships top the list. Also, one of the things about this story that the cover doesn’t tell you is the important lesson of why you should know your family history.

4. You already have a release date for your second novel, When A Man Loves A Woman . Can you tell us a little bit about it? Is it connected to the first novel? When can we expect it?

When A Man Loves A Woman will be released April 2008, and yes, it’s the sequel to When I’m With You . This is Vic and A.J.’s story and it deals with the ultimate betrayal in a woman’s life and how the man who loves her helps overcome it. Also, readers who I truly believe will enjoy the saga of the Baptiste Clan should hold on to their seats, because I’m working on Ray’s story, tentatively titled, If I Were Your Woman . There are also two other works-in-progress, too. With all of this, I plan to stay pretty busy in 2008.

5. Busy, indeed! Keep them coming. Okay, do you have any advice for other writers dreaming of their own debut?

The first and most important tip I can give anyone is to prepare. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways: reading books from authors published in the genre you’re writing in, taking courses or workshops, entering contests, and if possible, speaking with published authors in your targeted genre. Once you have a workable draft of your manuscript, join a critique group and above all, accept constructive feedback. All of these things will help in the end so that you’re providing a quality product for agents and editors to review. A couple of books I’d highly encourage writers to purchase are: Building Better Plots by Robert Kernen and Writing Novels that Sell by Jack Bickham.

Check out LaConnie’s awesome book trailer here:



You can find out more about LaConnie here:

  • http://www.laconnietaylorjones.com


  • http://www.myspace.com/laconnietaylorjones


  • Thanks to everyone who supported my first "Debut Authors Week" and checked out the interviews of all these exciting new authors!

    much love and peace,

    Gwyneth

    33 comments:

    Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

    Gwyneth,
    this is a wonderful interview and proof of what happens when one hangs in there, working to realize dreams, Another book to add to my ever growing (groaning) pile of books...

    blessings,
    angelia

    LaConnie said...

    Hello Angelia:

    You're so right!! Dreams do can come true, if you only beleive.

    Thanks so much for stopping by and supporting me.

    Happy Reading!!
    LaConnie

    Don said...

    Nice trailer, really makes a person want to check the book out. Nicely done.

    LaConnie said...

    Hi Don:

    I'm glad you liked the trailer!!!

    It truly captures the essence of the story and I hope you'll go out and get a copy soon.

    Blessings,
    LaConnie

    Anonymous said...

    LaConnie, all I can say is how proud I am of you! You set a goal and you reached it! "I know the plans I have for you" Jeremiah 29:11. Hold on to the promises! My book has already shipped; I know I will enjoy it!

    Much love my Sista...Thelma

    Gwyneth Bolton said...

    Hey everyone! I made it to Ohio, checked into my hotel and there's free wireless. Yay!

    Angelia ~ I know about the growing to-be-read pile. :-)

    Don ~ I love her book trailer. It's so nice!

    Thelma ~ Thanks for stopping by.

    LaConnie ~ Thanks for doing the interview and thanks for coming by to interact. It means a lot to me and I'm sure it means a lot to folks who will read the interview and maybe buy the book. I know my copy is sitting at the top of my to-be-read pile.

    Gwyneth

    Anonymous said...

    Another great interview, I will definitely adding this book to my ever growing to be read pile.

    Anonymous said...

    Beautiful trailer...Congrats LaConnie

    PatriciaW said...

    Another encouraging interview, Gwyneth. Yesterday I forgot to comment because I was so interested in Pat Simmons' book, I hopped over to her website.

    Now I'll hop over to LaConnie's. Congratulations, Soror!

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Rainbow, you are hot to death and I love you very much!! I'm so proud of you and your accomplishments, I'm sure your mother would be just as proud if not prouder than I am of you. I'm so happy to see you smiling again and I know that this success means the world to you. Love you always.........B.A.M.N!!!!

    Jill James said...

    LaConnie, awesome trailer and amazing interview. The future looks bright, enjoy the light.

    Anonymous said...

    I am so proud of a sister that is a mother, works full time and still has time to follow her dreams.

    Lynn Emery said...

    Great interview. Congrats and continued blessings!

    Kimber Li said...

    Sounds like a couple of powerful stories which need to be told! Thanks for sharing.
    ;)

    Kimber Li said...

    P.S. I'm happily married with four children (three on Earth and one in Heaven) and I can't cook worth a darn either.
    :o)

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Soror,

    I am so proud and happy for you. Congratulations and I can't wait to read your book.

    J.J.

    LaConnie said...

    Thelma, Gwyneth, Tiffany, Lee, Patricia, Timesha, Jill, Lynn, Kimberly, JJ:

    Wow!!! I left for a few hours to attend a meeting, and the blog is going hot and heavy.

    Thank you all for posting!!

    And especially to my Sorors: Gwyneth, JJ, Patricia, and Timesha, there’s nothing better than some Delta love!!

    Gwyneth, I’m glad you made it to your destination safely. God Speed on your journey back home and again, thanks so much for this opportunity.

    Kimber An, I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one in the world who can’t cook!!!

    Okay, I’m off to pick up my munchkins from school. Then, I’ll come back to get ready for my Girl Scout troop meeting, and end the day with karate for two of my kids.

    I’ll check back in later this evening!!!

    Gwyneth Bolton said...

    Hello, Tiffany, Lee, Patricia, Timesha, Jill, Anon, Jill, Kimber An, Lynn and JJ. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the interview.

    Gwyneth

    Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

    Congratulations on the release, LaConnie! I can't wait to read the book. And I really look forward to doing our signings together! It's going to be so much fun. I wish you all the best!!!!

    Jasmine Haynes
    The Fortune Hunter, in stores now
    http://www.skullybuzz.com

    Yasmin said...

    Hello LaConnie and Gywneth...great interview! LaConnie, APOOO just reviewed your release and we believe you have a winner on your hand!
    xoxo

    LaConnie said...

    Hi Jasmine (Skully) and Yasmin:

    Thanks so much for sharing your comments.

    Skully, I'm looking forward to our book signings.

    Yasmin, thanks so much for the great review from APOOO. It means so much!!

    Much love,
    LaConnie

    Anonymous said...

    Congrats to the woman who can burn water. You've worked hard, and I'm gald to see you enjoying this moment.

    Love,

    C

    Unknown said...

    Hey Soror,

    I can't wait to read your book and your interview was great. I wish you all the happiness in the world!

    Rakia

    LaConnie said...

    To C and Soror Rakia:

    Thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

    You'll love the story equally as well.

    Much love,
    LaConnie

    Gwyneth Bolton said...

    Hi Jasmine, Yasmin, C and Soror Rakia! Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out LaConnie's wonderful interview.

    much love and peace,

    Gwyneth

    Chicki Brown said...

    This interview was such an inspiration to me to not give up. Thanks for posting these great discussions with authors.

    bettye griffin said...

    Gwyneth,
    Thanks for a week's worth of inspiring and informative author interviews.

    Bettye Griffin

    LaConnie said...

    Hi Chickie and Bettye:

    Thanks so much for dropping by and supporting the effort.

    Bettye, you're one of my favorite authors!!! I have all of your books.

    Much love,
    LaConnie

    bettye griffin said...

    Thank you, LaConnie! Continued success to you.

    Bettye

    Anonymous said...

    Enjoyed this interview. Thank you. I look forward to the book release.

    Paz

    Tyhitia Green said...

    Congratulations to all of the debut authors you featured this week, Gwyneth! Wow. My TBR pile is already too huge, but I'll get around to these new authors! :*)

    Gwyneth Bolton said...

    Chicki, Bettye, Tyhitia and Paz, thanks so muc for checking out the interview.

    LaConnie, thanks for hanging out! I wish you much success. I plan to read my copy of When I'm With You over the Thanksgiving break. I can't wait! And I can't wait to meet you at Slam Jam. Much success, soror! YID

    Gwyneth

    Anonymous said...

    Janice-G

    LaConnie I am not one who likes to read love novels, but I must say that reading "When I'M With You" has broaden my home library. I look forward to your next published book.

    XOXO G.