CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Throwback Thursdays

This is how we do the old to the new…

Maybe it’s about a sweet melody and an inspiring message… I don’t know. But I do know that I get almost the same hyped-happy-I-can-accomplish-anything feeling when I hear Kanye West’s “Touch the Sky” that I get when I hear Curtis Mayfield’s “Move On Up.” I don’t know if it is the melody, or the thought of moving on up and touching the sky. But I do know that Kanye did well by the Curtis Mayfield classic. And I love the video for Kanye’s video because it takes us back to the early 70s. Nostalgia. Gotta love it! I also like the nod to Evil Kanevil. I could have done without Pamela Anderson and Tracey Ellis Ross in the video… But other than those two, it’s a pretty cool video. I can almost see why he threw a fit when he didn’t when an award for this video a few years back. I mean he did spend a million dollars for it… He should have won that world video award… LOL. Just kidding… Anyway… Enjoy!

Curtis Mayfield, “Move On Up”



Kanye West, “Touch the Sky”



much love and peace,

Gwyneth

3 comments:

bettye griffin said...

I always bring along the Curtis! CD on road trips. I love driving on the highway to that song. It's dated, yes, but it still sounds good. (I'm presuming you're talking about the 16-minute long, half instrumental song from his first solo album, rather than We're a Winner, which Curtis recorded with The Impressions around '67, which used the words "Movin' On Up" as part of the chrous).

The man was a musical genius who never really received due credit for his contributions to music. I still mourn his loss.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Yes, Bettye, I'm talking about the mostly instrumental track from the solo album. Although I love his stuff with The Impressions as well. You're right, the man was a musical genius and more folks need to recognize that. That's why I was so happy to see that Kanye sampled him in that song.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Gibson as I believe authenticity counts. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry ooutlet online[/url] of this year, after that the next week he tells me that we are not good together, and after that i still keep calling, texting and visiting him, he didn tell me to stop and we still kissed when we saw eachother just on the lips no tongue but this went on until two weeks ago, and i finally realized that once someone makes up their mind that it, you have to move on or you will drive yourself crazy!! it never a good feeling to have someone tell you that they don want you anymore but it part of life.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]http://www.goosecoatsale.ca[/url] Bbfezchxe
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora Sale[/url] Bdmufeuep [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] gplalsyxr