CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 10, 2008

This Is How We Do The Old To The New... Thursdays


Maybe it is all about the heartbeat…

What do you know about music in the late 70s and early 80s? I’m talking about songs at least 8 minutes long, sometimes longer. LOL. I’m talking about flashlights, neon lights, oh flashlights… roll, skate, rock, bounce…. I’m talking about a time when every soul song had a little bit of--dare I say it-- disco in it. I’m talking about the birth of hip-hop and raps over classic break beats like Chic’s “Good Times” and this classic song -- “Heartbeat.”

Now this song brings back memories... Sure, I was only 11 or 12 years old when it came out. But I remember singing along with Taana Gardner, “heartbeat, you make me feel so weak… moving all around with my head to the ground. Everything you said went right straight to my head…” I loved this song so much that I had to include it in my novel Sweet Sensation . It’s the break beat Flex plays the first time Deidre raps for him. “Heartbeat” like “Breaking Bells” and “Big Beat” has become a classic hip-hop break beat. Lots of rappers have sampled it. The Treacherous Three rapped over the instrumental back in 1981 when it came out. But during the golden era of hip hop, De La Soul (featuring Tribe Called Quest the Jungle Brothers and Monie Love) made a song called “Buddy” and flipped the “Heartbeat” into something fresh and new. I love “Buddy.” This song takes me back to my undergraduate days and many a campus party. So, you know I was feeling Musiq Soulchild when he freaked “Heartbeat” in his own version of “Buddy” last year. I have to say, every time I hear “Heartbeat” I like it. It is a classic one hit wonder song that has managed to stick around and be reinvented over and over and over again. You’ve got to love it! Enjoy…

Taana Gardner “Heartbeat”



Treacherous Three “Feel the Heartbeat”



De La Soul “Buddy”



Musiq Soulchild “Buddy”

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Old to the new Thursdays :) I was on an old school kick yesterday. As I worked, I listened to some Midnight Star, Klymaxx, Mary Jane Girls, The Time and Atlantic Starr.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

TGIT, I love Thursdays, today you introduced me to some new, old stuff...my favorite really long song wasn't hip-hop but Grover Washington's 'Mr. Magic'. I loved dancing to that for all those minutes with someone who could really dance...ahhhhhhhh memories...

angelia

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Shelia ~ I know the feeling. I go through old school moods often. And I used to love Atlantic Starr... My all time favorite song from them is "Silver Shadow." I love that song!

Angelia ~ When I listen to some of those old songs I have to shake my head. You have to have some serious stamina to through an old school party and stay on the dance floor for more than five songs.

Gwyneth

Tyhitia Green said...

I love being informed! I had no idea that that many people sampled this song. I loved that song too---the original. :*)

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Tyhitia ~ That was the cut! And if I put every hip-hop song on here that has sampled "Heartbeat" this would have been a really long post. It's a classic break beat. :-)

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

Okay, I confess. I couldn't stand "Heartbeat." When I think of those marathon dance numbers of the late 70s/early 80s, my favorite has got to be "Got to Give it Up" (artist name not necessary).

Funny you should mention that you put "Heartbeat" in your book Sweet Sensation. I mention that "Got to Give it Up" in my upcoming Once Upon A Project. Since these are 50-year-olds, the character dancing while fighting off a hot flash quietly thinks, What's this DJ trying to do, give somebody a heart attack?

Thanks, Gwyneth, for another fun trip down memory lane.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

The character dancing while fighting off a hot flash quietly thinks, What's this DJ trying to do, give somebody a heart attack?

Bettye ~ LOL. Now I really can't wait to read this book. I remember being at a party a little while ago and they played "Rapper's Delight" and I was getting kind of winded. I thought dang how did we dance to these long ass songs in the past. I guess we were younger then... LOL.

WrkNProgress said...

I love coming here on Thursdays it always schools me and brightens my day.

Don said...

Hey Gwyneth,

I love the song BUDDY by Jungle Brothers & De La Soul. It's one of my all-time favorite rap songs. Just a great vibe all around in the song.

I like Musiq's song BUDDY as well.

The reference to Chic's GOOD TMES took me back to a place and time when my relative had a cafe down south, and we use to always ask for a quarter to play that song. lol. That was a long, long time ago.

Still good memories though.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Wrknprogress ~ And we love having you stop through! :-)

Don ~ You're right, De La Soul's "Buddy" is just one of those feel good songs that makes folks happy and want to dance, real good vibe. I love how the music makes folks remember... I might have to start calling this "Nostalgia Thursdays" LOL. Thanks for stopping through.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Magni Work -
Micro Niche Finder -
Plr Article Software -
Pregnancy Miracle -
Software Submitter Pro -
The Affiliate Code -
The Diet Solution Program -
Truth About Abs -
Zygor Guides -
yeast infection no more -






3d covers -
500 scrapbooking sketches -
acid alkaline diet -
acne free in 3 days -
advanced pc tweaker -
apple patch diet -
art of approaching -
auction inspector -
av advance -
build a nice store -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
catch spouse cheating -
chikara reiki do -
combat the fat -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -

Anonymous said...

government registry -
heartburn no more -
homemadeenergy -
home made energy -
honest riches -
learn photoshop now -
linden method -
malware removal bot -
marketing on the fringe -
maternityacupressure -
maternity acupressure -
meet your sweet -
musclegainingsecrets -
muscle gaining secrets -
my online income system -
negative calorie diet -
no adware -
one minute cure -
one week marketing -
online pickup secrets -
partenon -
pc on point -
perfect optimizer -
perfect uninstaller -
pick the gender of your baby -
power cash secret -
profit lance -
publicrecordspro -
public records pro -
push button marketer -
quit smoking today -
registry easy -
registry easy download -
registry fix -

Anonymous said...

home job group -
homemadeenergy -
home made energy -
inteli gator -
joanas world -
joyful tomato -
kidney stone remedy -
learn digital photography now -
learn elements now -
linden method -
lose man boobs -
malware removal bot -
maternityacupressure -
maternity acupressure -
meet your sweet -
muscle gaining secrets -
muscle gain truth -
niche adsense themes -
ninety day powerseller -
pc optimizer pro -
pregnancy miracle -
pregnancy without pounds -
privacy control -
publicrecordspro -
public records pro -
quit smoking today -
reg genie -
registry easy -
registry genius -
registry smart -
registry winner -
registry winner download -
retrievea lover -
reverse mobile -