CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

This Is How We Do The Old To The New...Thursdays

When remakes go horribly, horribly wrong…

Everyone who has read this blog knows I have a thing for Curtis Mayfield’s music. I think “The Makings of You” is one of the sweetest most romantic songs ever made. I love it when I hear the Curtis Mayfield version. I love it when I hear the Gladys Knight version from the film soundtrack of my favorite movie ever Claudine . I just love the song. I love it so much that anyone even attempting to remake it, take the melody, or otherwise tamper with it had better come correct. Do you have any songs like that? Songs you wouldn’t want anyone messing with?

Anyway, before I go on, I should say that I love the singer Monica. I think the girl can sing any song she wanted to sing and sing the hell out of it. But Monica did a very bad thing when she started messing with my favorite song and created some kind of hybrid cross between Curtis Mayfield’s “The Makings of You” and R. Kelly’s “You Remind Me of Something.” How in the hell can you take the most romantic lyrics I’ve ever known and mix them with a song that’s comparing a woman to a damn car? She needs to be ashamed of herself. And in her lyrics she’s comparing her man to her tire rimes because he shines… Ummm… no words... Except, this is an example of when remakes go horribly, horribly wrong… I have included the Curtis Mayfield version. And since I can’t put Chester-the-Accused-Child-Molester on my blog again (he was in Aaliyah’s video and got on by default a couple of weeks ago) I've included a spoof of the “You Remind Me of Something” video that is a hoot. And then I give you the train wreck that is Monica’s song… “A Dozen Roses…” Enjoy….

"The Makings of You," Curtis Mayfield


"You Remind Me of Something" (R. Kelly) Spoof Video



"A Dozen Roses (The Makings of You)," Monica



Have a great weekend!

much love and peace,

Gwyneth

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am fond of Monica's remake. In fact, I used it as my "special person" ringtone for several months this year. The song has more merit than you think. Perhaps you should reconsider it.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Curtis Mayfield, man do I love that beautiful falsetto, I was in high school during his superfly soundtrack days, his voice is yummy, thanks for his music...

smooches,
angelia

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Tamika ~ Nah... I don't wanna. ;-)

Angelia ~ I LOVE Curtis Mayfield's voice! Love it!

Gwyneth

Shelia said...

You're always on point...I love Thursdays :)

Chicki Brown said...

Thanks for not posting Chester ... He turns my stomach.

I can do without Monica, and I agree with Angelia. Curtis had such a beautiful, mellow voice.

Good blog!

bettye griffin said...

Don't know Monica from Moneesha, but I always felt that Curtis Mayfield's considerable talent was seriously underrated. I absolutely loved his music. When he had his accident I cried, and even when I think of him dying so young I still well up. Only two recording artists affect me that way (the other one is Barry White).

But I can smile through my tears at the thought of the wonderful music he created.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Shelia ~ Thanks! ;-)

Chicki ~ He turns my stomach too. Shouldn't he be in jail by now? Seriously?

Bettye ~ "Don't know Monica from Moneesha..." You crack me up. LOL. You are so right about Curtis Mayfield. The brother made some beautiful music and left us too soon.

Gwyneth

WrkNProgress said...

You're right! There are just some things you just do! That was one of them.

Don said...

The great Curtis Mayfield.

R Kelly confused me w/ that song. At first he did.

Man, what happened to Monica?

K.D. KING said...

*big sigh*
Apparently my only job here on your board is to disagree.

I opted not to listen to the spoof of "You remind me of something" as I am quite familiar with the song.

I don't like either the original or the remake. Call it a generational thing. The original song was...............too..................sl...............o.......w

and this coming from someone who listens to nothing but slow music. I listen to old music often (70's, 80's, some 60's) but this doesn't cut the cheese for me. I couldn't even finish listening, I found myself paying attention to everything but the song. Guess you had to grow up listening to it. I didn't. I grew up listening to the O'Jays and Johnny Taylor.

Now for Monica's remake. That song sucked too. And why is the girl rolling around half naked. Is she a singer or a video vixen. Geesh. I couldn't finish that either I was just plain disinterested.

Well I'm off to check out your other old school Thursday stuff.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

wrknprogress ~ Exactly! :-)

Don ~ I was wondering the same thing about Monica when that album dropped.

KD ~ Where would I be if you didn't disagree... ;-)

Gwyneth

Michelle said...

Angie Stone did a fierce cover of The Makings of You on her Mahogany Soul CD. Here's a youtube link (singing begins @ 2:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySNzzy31rvs.

Even LBoogie did a version, but it can't touch Angie's.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Michelle ~ Thanks, I hadn't heard the Angie Stone version. That was beautiful. I'd heard Lauryn's version and I didn't really care for it that much. It was bad, it just didn't move me. Angie Stone's cover was really good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Gwyneth

Michelle said...

The YouTube version is much slower and drawn out than what is on her CD. I like both versions though. Love me some Angie!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I'm going to have to go back and get her older albums. I have to admit I have been sleeping on Angie Stone. I just got her latest CD a last week because you know I love me some Betty Wright and she has the song "Baby" with Betty Wright on they new CD. I really love the new CD. And I have loved a lot singles from her in the past, but never got one of her CDs until this one. Looks like I have been missing out on a lot of gems....

Gwyneth

Michelle said...

You will LOOOOVE Mahogany Soul. My fav songs are The Makings of You, More Than A Woman (awesome duet), Brotha, Mad Issues, Wish I Didn't Miss You, Snowflakes and Time of the Month (yes it's a song about her cycle & a dayum good one) LMAO. You won't be disappointed.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Michelle ~ I'm sold! I got the album last night. Loving it already... :-)

Michelle said...

let me know what you think of Time of the Month. Hee..What's your favorite song so far?

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Michelle ~ Time of the Month is the cut! LOL.