CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Top Five African American Romantic Movies of All Time

Okay as you all know by now, I am a sucker for Black Love. I'm also a sucker for a good romantic-themed movie, any kind, from romantic comedies to the tear-jerkers. So for this post, I decided to list my top five favorite African American romantic movies. If you feel I left something off or that my list is just plain wrong, leave a post and give your own picks!

1. Claudine
I loved this movie. It used to come on at stray times during the year on a Saturday and I'd watch it every time. There is so much love going on in the film. The romance is central but you got love and family at play as well. I still want a copy of the soundtrack. "Gettin' wit the huggin'. Gettin' wit the kissin'. Gettin' wit the lovin'. On and on..." Woo!

2. Mahogany
"I just want my old man back!" Enough said. Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams made fire on the screen.

3. Love Jones
I don't care what anyone says, this movie renewed the love for poetry and spoken word in the black community! After it came out every body and their mother started reciting poems in dark clubs and giving soul snaps of appreciation for a verse well-said. The soundtrack was fire too. Lauryn Hill's "The Sweetest Thing" is worth the price of the CD alone.

4. Love and Basketball
Okay, who didn't cry in that final basketball match between Sanaa and Omar? Their chemistry was awesome in that film.

5. Deliver Us from Eva
This is the one that I'm sure people will argue with me about. But there was the love between the sisters, the romance and umm... well... there was LL! Holla!

That's my list! What's yours?

Much love and peace,

Gwyneth

11 comments:

PatriciaW said...

Gwyneth:

Okay, you got Mahogany but how could you leave out Lady Sings the Blues?

That one comes to mind immediately. If I think of others, I'll let you know.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Patricia,

I thought about adding Lady Sings the Blues. But then I thought about the happily-ever-after requirement and it didn't seem to fit. But you're right it was a wonderful film. It really highlighted the great chemistry that Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams had together on screen. Thanks for posting! And if you think of any more films let me know.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about doing a list like this using your book as one of the five? You could think of all kinds of angles. In fact, Amazon's Listmania can serve a function like this. You, of course, can read more ideas like this that are low cost or free in THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T. It's available low-cost as en e-book at http://starbooks.com as well as in paperback on Amazon.

Carolyn Howard-Johnson
FURGAL was USA Book News' Best Professional Book and the winner of the Irwin Award

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Hmmm.... Now that's a thought, Carolyn. I might just do that.

Thanks,

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Gwyneth,
I too love "Claudine." (both the movie & the soundtrack) I agree that "Love & Basketball" has to be on the list and I've gotta include another of Sanaa Latham's films: "Brown Sugar" with Taye Diggs. "Lady Sings the Blues" definitely makes my list, but Mahogany. I'm still thinking about the 5th choice.
Kim

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Hi Kimberly,

I think Brown Sugar should be on the list. I should have made it a list of ten. LOL! That film had a nice soundtrack as well, especially the Badu track: "Love of my life... You are my friend... Love of my life.. On you I can depend... It's like I sampled true love..."

Gwyneth

Kaia said...

Lady and the Tramp. My dog went to the pound for his love.

Oh yeah, The Princess Bride. Nothing was sexier than Westley standing up, pointing his blade at Humperdink and commanding (with British accent) "Drop. Your. Sword."

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Kaia,

You are a trip! Lady and the Tramp would be good if I could somehow reason that the dogs were African American dog. LOL. As far at be a hot love story in general, I think I can give it a pass. I mean, you're right dog did get put on lock-down for love.

Gwyneth

Kaia said...

My bad. You did say "African American" huh? Sorry, I'm a princess fairy tale geek on a mission to create our own fairy tales.

Anyway, the most hardcore expression of AFRICAN AMERICAN love was in "Love & Basketball" where Sanaa played Omar for his heart (MeShell NDeGeoCello's "You Made A Fool Of Me" in the background).

btw, Tramp had a brotha's spirit. Lady was a little BAP with a sista's heart. Think about it...

Kaia said...

JASON'S LYRIC -- My man washed a sista's feet and then put a serious hurt on that cash register.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Kaia,

Now you're talking. I'm with you on Love and Basketball. That scene with them playing basketball to Me'Shell's "Made a fool of Me" still bring tears to my eyes when I watch it and I'm still on the edge of my set. I wish I could ball so I could play a brother for his heart. I'm gonna have to watch the Lady and the Tramp again though to see if they have the flava to count.

As for Jason't Lyric, hmm... I'm still trying to get past that crazy hair-do Jada had in the film...