CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Interview with Author Anisa Damien

Hi all,

With so many wonderful and talented writers publishing today, I thought it would be cool to interview some of them and share their stories here. I plan to interview at least one author a month on my blog. First up is multicultural erotic romance writer, Anisa Damien. So, check out what she has to say about her publications and the e-publishing industry.

GB: Hi, Anisa! I’m so glad you decided to drop by my blog for a chat.

AD: Thanks for having me Gwyneth!

GB: My first question is a simple one. When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

AD: Well, writing came to me as a surprise in grade school, since I swore I didn’t like spending time reading, but when I actually read so many wonderful works of fiction I became intrigued with creating my own characters and have been writing every sense.

GB: Tell us a little bit about your published work so far.

AD: I have just published a short story for Changeling Press, my first paranormal, titled Baby, It’s Witchcraft.

(Blurb)
Lawyer and witch Alexis Scott doesn't need to cast a spell to know that the world is askew -- she has the law!

But when a mysterious blue-eyed stranger show up in her bed giving her mind-blowing orgasms, Alexis starts to wonder if a little magic is all that bad! That is, until she discovers her new lover is the King of the Underworld.

Also, I just had my first release out by Cobblestone Press, Midnight Whispers.

(Blurb)
Joie couldn't be more surprised to find out that she is the “Lion's” prime candidate for his little game of seduction. Soon his sensual instructions are her undoing and Joie backs away from what could be the start of a sexual addiction.

Leo Tobias was back home - Houston and to Joie, leaving his life behind as an undercover Narcotics detective behind. The one thing he's held on to is his sexy memories of having Joie in his life and in his bed. And now, he's decided that their friends-with-benefits relationship was never enough.

GB: How many e-books have you published and where are they published?

AD: I have 6 books published currently. Readers may find my books at:

http://www.:LiquidSilverBooks.com
http://www.VenusPress.com
http://www.ChangelingPress.com
http://www.Loose-Id.com
http://www.Cobblestone-Press.com


GB: Are there any common themes?

AD: I think all my work has a sense of “love conquers all” to them.

GB: Are they mostly multicultural and interracial?

AD: Yep, my books are a mixture of multicultural and interracial. Love comes in all flavors.

GB: Do you have some that have both an African American hero and heroine?

AD: I currently have two projects that feature an African American hero and heroine. I love showing the power of love between African-Americans as well as different races. r

GB: What made you decide to go with an e-publisher for your work?

AD: After reading some of them and seeing the variety offered, I decided I had to give it a try. My first book published with an e-publisher was Wild Impulses released by Liquid Silver Books.

GB: Do you find the e-book audience to be a little more open to diversity?

AD: Definitely. With ebooks, I feel I have a lot more freedom to write what I want without all the guidelines.

GB: You write hot, steamy, erotic romances. What made you decide to go this route?

AD: LOL. I love erotic romance. I started writing straight contemporary romance and something always felt like it was missing.

GB: Did you always know that you wanted to make it hot in your writing?

AD: I think there was always a part of me that wanted to, but you know how it is when you start something new, you doubt it first. But I love it. Writing about the sensual side of characters is fun and displays a lot about your character. However, it is the romance – that happy ending that keeps me coming back every time.

GB: I see that your writing has branched off to include some mystery/suspense and some paranormal elements. Do you think this is a direction we can expect more of from you in the future?

AD: Oh yes, definitely. I have a thing for demons and vampires and have a lot more stories featuring, specifically vampires in the works, such as, my upcoming release, Flirting With Danger, to be released by Loose-Id.

(Blurb)
Arieona “Aries Roman has been left at the altar twice by two vampires no less! When a million dollars of diamonds are stolen; Aries puts her jilted heart aside and travels to the Caribbean to seek out a thief and never expected to come face to face with ex-lover, Quentin De Leon. Despite, her no-strings, just sex approach, Aries soon finds herself consumed by lust for a man who walked out of her life, but not her heart.

Quentin De Leon has always known that his life as a Guardian would force him to battle with the on thing he’s desired most: Aries. His job is to stop her from going against an immortal enemy that could destroy them both, but will his desire to possess her body and soul blind him as evil strikes and possibly cause him to loose the woman he loves more than his own immortality?

There is something very seductive about vampires to me.

My upcoming series, Brown Suga Inc. to be released Venus Press will have a lot of family secrets intertwined, a murder and a lot of lies and romance!

GB: How has your life changed since becoming published?

AD: Boy, there was never enough time in the day before and there isn’t enough now. Being published is a continuous journey that has its ebbs and flows. And I’m finding if you never stop learning – you’ll never be behind!

GB: What changes do you anticipate in the future?

AD: None that I can see. I hope to be blessed to write many more novellas and stories.

GB: You have done a lot to try and build community with other writers via the web. How is that working for you?

AD: I love talking to my readers and other authors. You learn so much. It keeps you fresh to what readers really want and like. And the girl talk is out of this world!

GB: Do you find the writing community open to this kind of outreach on your part?

AD: Oh yes. There are a lot of fellow authors subscribed to my yahoo group Stricly Seductive. Also, I utilize my blog at: http://strictlyseductive.blogspot.com to showcase author’s heroes in what I call “Hero-logy” or sketches of their heroes from their published works. I also do interviews on a show I host on Blasé Skip radio, Mahogany Lounge.

GB: You have a wonderful web and blog presence. Can you talk a little about what went into the creation of your various sites?

AD: Thank you! When my blog and website were designed, I wanted something that really showed my personal style, about my writing and I believe both do so wonderfully. I wanted to showcase African-American, Multicultural and Interracial erotic romance. My blog, I wanted to be a mixture of my endeavors as well as other authors. It’s the best promotion there is.

GB: What do you like to read in your spare time?
AD: Historicals, Erotic romance, paranormals, you name it!

GB: What are you reading right now?

AD: Studmuffin Wanted by Author Lena Matthews.

GB: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

AD: When you are starting out – it is so natural to be excited about your dreams and goals and equally natural for others, even those closest to you to not be as supportive as you’d like – Don’t give up. Keep forging on. Your voice deserves to be heard.

GB: Do you think that there is a future for African American writers of romance and erotic romance in e-publishing?

AD: I definitely think so. I believe it’s my style, my plots, my characters, my voice that will dictate that – more so, than the industry I publish in.

GB: What are you working on now?

AD: Right now, I am working on a two book vampire series, The Scarlet Ties. Book one is Taste: Heroine and Reporter, Ashlyn Michaels always gets what she wants! Her target was to interview the elusive Rayven brother; Cyrus and get the goods on the notoriously erotically themed hotel that only a chosen view were able to visit. But is Ashlyn ready for what Cyrus requests of her in return?

Cyrus Rayven has his choice of lovers but wants Ashlyn. Her shapely curves and wicked tongue make everything within his cold Vampire heart run scalding hot. He'll give her the interview she seeks, but not before she spends a week in his bed.

GB: Tell us a little something about your future works.

AD: The second book in The Scarlet Ties series is: Tempted in which Cyrus’ twin brother, Coye Rayven meets his match with Southern belle, Noely Lamont. I also have an upcoming release with Cobblestone Press, Pulse in which a secret agent is handing over his bullets for his ex-wife.

GB: Thanks for taking the time to chat with me, Anisa. Your work is wonderful and HOT and we look forward to all of the wonderful projects that you have in store.

6 comments:

JT said...

Great interview! Thanks for sharing!

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jen!

Gwyneth

LaShaunda said...

Good interview Gwyneth,

This a hot new genre and its nice to see writers trying something new.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Thanks for checking out the interview, Arlene and LaShaunda!

Gwyneth

Paz Edwards said...

Wonderful interview. Thanks!

Paz

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Thanks, Paz!