CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 07, 2007

The Top Ten Reasons Why I Love To Read And Write Romance



10. I’m such a girlie-girl.

Seriously, I’m not even going to tell you how old I was when I finally had to give up my Barbie dolls. (Buying new outfits and accessories for that chick was so much fun!) I will say that I soon found a grown-up way to still… err… play with dolls. (Yes, we call it collecting now.) And as long as some of them are porcelain and have an official certificate of authenticity or something, you’re cool. No one will know it’s because you’re a big ole girlie girl who still likes pretty dolls… wink wink…

9. I’m a sucker for love.

Give me any chance to sigh and say awwww and I will do it every time. It’s like a reflex, an impulse. I couldn’t stop it if I wanted to. Classic lines in romantic movies had me at hello. Sappy sweet romantic lyrics in love songs make my heart beat a little faster and my breath catch every time. And if the hero in a novel says the right thing at the right time to the heroine in the right way… Let’s just say I live for those moments and that’s one of the reasons why I’ve been devouring romance novels since the age of twelve.

8. I puffy-heart-love secret babies.

Some people can’t stand this tried and true romance storyline. I can honestly say that ever since I found out there was such a thing it has remained on of my all-time favorite romance storylines. I have no idea why. I don’t think it’s because I’m mean and like to say in the tone of nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah ‘She had your baby. She didn’t tell you.’ I don’t think I’m that mean… being a sucker for love and all... But I do know that when browsing through the books store and reading back cover blurbs, if I see a secret baby book, nine times out of ten it is coming home with me.

7. I blame Disney…

Just like every other little girl in American I was indoctrinated with fairy princesses and handsome princes from an early age. All I’m saying is very few women make it through this type of outright propaganda without having a thing for romance. Sure they don’t all grow up to read and write romance. But I’m just saying…

6. Nikki Giovanni said “black love is black wealth” and I believe her.

I honestly believe that the more stories we can tell and share about black folks falling in love and making it work can’t help but be a good thing. The more people we have believing in love in these times of war, poverty and disease the better.



5. I like a well-written love scene.

Sue me! I’m not going to lie about it. I know there are some women who could care less about the love scenes in romance novels. I’m not one of them. This isn’t to say that I can’t read and enjoy sweet romances or inspirational romances. I do because at the end of the day it’s the love story and the romance that I’m really after. But what made me sneak my mother’s romance novels at the age of twelve had more to do with those love scenes than not. I wanted to read them. I still want to read really good ones. And I like writing them. When you write a really good one, it’s almost like writing a really good poem. And when I have to stop and fan myself in the middle of reading one or writing one that’s better than… cake… wink, wink… I know you didn’t think I was going to say better than sex? They’re good but they aren’t that good. But when they’re really good they can serve as inspiration and that’s all I’m saying about that…

4. Happily ever after…

Yes, I still have a need to believe it exists and need constant confirmation and affirmation. Thus my steady diet of romance novels since around 1982. Maybe it has something to do with being a child of divorce living in the hood where there weren’t a large number of folks sticking together and making it work… I’m not going to psychoanalyze myself… But I will say that romance novels offer models of positive relationships, healthy loving relationships and people making it work. I like that.

3. My name is Gwyn and I’m a bookaholic.

When you’re a book junkie such as myself who enjoys pretty covers and has to constantly purchase new books all the time, romance novels provide a somewhat inexpensive fix. You can buy a lot of them and the mass-market size and prices take a while to really make your problem become noticeable. By the time anyone really realizes that you have a book-buying problem you could have thousands stashed here and there. And now that there are e-books, you could really satisfy your book jones without anyone being the wiser. Add when you add writing your own novels and holding your own book in your hands into the equation, we’re talking about a book high that surpasses all others. Yes, I have a problem. I know my addiction is bad. But they keep calling me… and calling me…

2. I like a good cry.

I really do. In addition to being a girlie-girl, I am so-oo corny. We’re talking crying at Hallmark commercials corny. If a romance novel makes me shed a tear, then that book has earned a place on my keeper shelf. I think that might be half the excitement of picking up a new book, I might get a tear or two out of it and a sigh. I know I love it when readers tell me something I wrote made them cry. I get all smiley-faced and gleeful. And I say, “No-oo... Really? What part?”

1. I love a good story.

And no matter what anyone says, I find them more times than not in the pages of romance novels. And I get to tell them when I write romance novels. And that is the number one reason why I love to read and write romance. What about you?

17 comments:

Kimber Li said...

Oh, me too on all of that, especially the secret babies. Aw, heck, any story with a baby in it will get me. Besides Yul Brynner in an Egyptian kilt, the fast way to sell me a book is to put a baby on the cover.
;)

Yasmin said...

Nikki Giovanni said “black love is black wealth” and I believe her.

AMEN and I agree.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

I LOVE, LOVE AS WELL, great Blog Sistah Gwyneth, the painting on #6 is on the wall in my family room...Have A Great Weekend...

angelia

PatriciaW said...

Great post, Gwyneth! All I can say is, "Me too, me too"!

Farrah Rochon said...

Right here with you.

I'm so happy there's yet another woman who can admit to loving a secret baby story. Looove them! And if you mix it in with a marriage of convenience, I'm all over it.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Kimber An ~ Yay! Another secret baby fan. I think we all secretly love secret babies. ;-)

Yasmin ~ Okay!

Angelia ~Thanks, sis! You have a great weekend too.

Patricia ~ Thanks! :-)

Farrah ~ Another person who loves secret baby stories! Yay! We need to start a club. And a secret baby mixed with a marriage of convenience... now you're cooking with Crisco! :-)

Gwyneth

bettye griffin said...

I haven't read a whole lot the last five years or so, but every once in a while I get the urge for a good love story. Sweet, spicy, erotic . . . doesn't matter. A well-written love story always gets me . . . although I've yet to read one that made me cry the way the TV show Cold Case always leaves me boo-hooing.

As Hal David (Burt Bacharach's lyricist) said, it's what the world needs.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on all your comments! Great reasons!

Happy reading and writing to all,
Paz

Shelia said...

Gwyneth, you did a good job on why I love to read/write romance. I don't think I have much to add to it. A good story with a dash or a whole lot of romance works for me. Besides the romance books, I love watching Lifetime movies.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Bettye ~ We must be kindred spirits. I remember when Cold Case first started coming on and I would watch it, I'd always find myself breaking out in tears. They have some really good writers and stories on that show man. They really bring the waterworks out of a girl!

Paz ~ Thanks! Happy reading and writing to you too. :-)

Shelia ~ Girl, don't get me started on Lifetime. I have to make myself not even turn to that channel if I have a lot of stuff to get done on a Saturday or Sunday. I can take an entire day watching movie after movie agter movie. Lifetime will suck you in and hold you there. LOL.

Gwyneth

Don said...

While reading your list I left w/ the impression that romance writing is from your soul.

Good deal, Gwyneth.

Chicki Brown said...

All I could say was "amen" all the through.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Don ~ Thanks! I think I might have to use that... Romance writing from the soul... :-)

Chicki ~ Thanks! ;-)

Gwyneth

Tyhitia Green said...

Don't get me wrong, horror is my favorite, but I love love stories as well. I began reading romance novels at the age of 12 as well. Then I got into poetry, Edgar Allen Poe then Stephen King, and well...lol. I still read romance, even though most of it is paranormal romance (as far as I what I read now) :*)

WrkNProgress said...

I am soooo glad you Love reading and writing romance, especially writing, because I love them too.

K.D. KING said...

Ya big sap!!! And because my job here is to always be the voice of dissension...

I'm sure you know I don't like secret baby plots. I don't like kids in stories at all unless its the Epilogue. Something about reading a story with a kid in it, just makes me want to put it down. I mean I've read some good ones with kids (yours for example, Solid Soul, etc) but I do glaze over the parts where the child speaks or interacts or moves or...hmmm I wonder if I have issues. My favorite plot is the marriage of convenience or arranged marriage plot.
I love a good sensual read with sex and sexual tension. Equal amounts, but alas cant say I'd enjoy a book without the sex. (yeah I'm a pervert). I've read traditional sweet romances and put them in my "to be donated" stack. Not that they weren't well written, but not my cup of tea.
And I MUST have my happily ever after. I want to believe love exists even if it is in fiction.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Tyhitia ~ I just read a bunch of paranormal romances that have been on my to-be-read pile. I have to say I can read some horror. But it isn't my automatic go to genre. I'm a big ole scarey cat.

Wrknprogress ~ Thanks for stopping by! I'm gad you like romances too. ;-)

KD King ~ Of course you have to disagree. That's your job. ;-) You crack me up with your "no kids in romance" stance. I can't wait for the story to come to your imagination that has a kid in it. I really can't wait. I do love a good marriage of convenience or arranged marriage plot. And sweet romances can be sweet. I can read a romance without the sex as long as that's what I'm expecting to read.

Gwyneth