CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 07, 2007

May Interview with Michelle Buckley



GB: Hello, Michelle! Welcome to my blog! Thanks so much for stopping by and chatting with me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by. You manage writing and running your own business. How do you do it all? What does your time management plan look like?

MB: How I do it all is a question I often ask myself. I usually write my fiction novels in the evenings and on weekends – that writing time is my way of winding down, unless my characters get revved up and then I get all wired! I live for those moments (to be honest). Then during the day I focus on doing the day-to-day work that’s gonna keep the lights on!

GB: Your first novel, BULLETPROOF SOUL came out in 2005 and the second novel, TRIPPIN’ came out in 2006. So, tell us, what has it been like? What has your journey to becoming a multi-published author been like?


MB: It took me about a year to finish my first book, BULLETPROOF SOUL. I hooked up with an agent who sent it to Carl Weber at Urban Books. I was informed around Christmas that he liked it (that was the best Christmas present ever!) and then 1-1/2 years later, I was published. The most fun times for me during my journey are meeting with the public. I really like interacting with readers who are passionate (sometimes too passionate) about my work. LOL. Along the way, every day I learn something new about the publishing business or the craft of writing. There are so many hats an author has to wear besides just being a writer. I’m my own publicist, marketer, sales person, graphic designer, accountant . . . the list goes on! LOL. I thought I went into the publishing biz with my eyes open and that I knew what to expect. But you can only read so much and have people tell you so much . . . then when you live it on your own it’s like Whoa . . . there is so much to do and still so much to learn. The journey has been wonderful though. Having mentors like Carl Weber, Donna Hill, Monica Jackson and Roy Glenn, veterans in the biz, has truly helped.

GB: I love the titles of your first two novels and the fact that they work on so many levels to give insight to what the novels are about. BULLETPROOF SOUL references the strength that Lacy needed to deal with all that life had thrown/was still throwing at her. And it also referenced the theme of gun violence and how it impacts the lives of those left to heal afterwards. And TRIPPIN’ references the actual traveling the characters do as well as the fact that you have some crazy folk in the novel who are really trippin’. LOL. So, you know I have to ask what goes into your thought process as you come up with titles for your novels? Do you need to have the perfect title in mind first before writing? How important is the title of the novel for you?

MB: I think titles are very important. The right title combined with good cover art can really inspire a reader to pick you up off the shelf, especially if they’ve never heard of you. I like to have my titles before I start the books and for my second book, TRIPPIN’ the title came to me pretty immediately. The same can’t be said about BULLETPROOF SOUL. That book started off with a different title: A Little Dab Won’t Do. My publisher, Carl Weber didn’t like it and he told me to go back and just reflect on what the book was truly about. Once I did that . . . once I got still and quiet and became non-obsessed about the title . . . then and only then did it come to me. I’m so glad Carl had the foresight that he did, because I can’t imagine my first novel with any other title!

GB: I really enjoyed BULLETPROOF SOUL. Girl, you had me talking back to the book and everything. I was reading it on my Jet Blue flight to NYC. And I was all, ‘Nooooo, Lacy! Don’t do it! Don’t do that, guuuurl!’ and ‘Well if you do it don’t tell him! Awwwww! Dang! I told you not to do it!’ It was a really interactive reading experience to say the least. And I’m sure the other passengers on the plane wondered if I was crazy. But Lacy was something else. How did you come up with her? What was your inspiration?


MB: Okay, Gwyn, give Lacy a break. I know you can remember back to when you were that young! LOL. To be honest, every black woman I know was my inspiration for her! I wrote BULLETPROOF SOUL as a way of celebrating the resiliency of black women. Somehow no matter what life throws at us we manage to take a licking and keep on ticking – we’re indestructible, bulletproof – and I wanted to write a character that reflected that! Through Lacy, I also wanted to offer a little inspiration. I wanted people, particularly young black women, to finish the book feeling hopeful and empowered. Lacy was young and a tad bit confused . . . she needed guidance. So, another reason for creating her and writing this book was so that I could underscore the importance of the relationship between older and younger generations. There’s something to be learned from one another. Grandmothers are the backbone of our community and the collective black family and the grandmother in this book is the backbone of the book and she’s part of Lacy’s backbone as well.

GB: The issue of what we need to do to better help and impact the lives of black youth was prominent in BULLETPROOF SOUL. I loved that! You offered a variety of sides to the story. But at the end of the day it’s clear that we all need to be doing something. It’s a very important and timely topic. What made you decide to include it in your novel? Do you see yourself dealing with such important topics in the future in other novels?

MB: I once worked for a youth center and I think the work those organizations do is very impactful. I’m dedicated to writing good books about life journeys featuring realistic characters who are dealing with important, real-life issues. My hope is that my characters and their story lines are remembered long after my books are closed and put away. When people read my books, I want them to be able to relate to the characters and struggles I write about and I’d like them to take away something that may help them through their own struggles. I’m going to always write about timely real topics and flawed human beings who experience growth while attempting to navigate and triumph over life’s tricky lessons.

GB: You know I have to get you to talk about TRIPPIN’. A serial killer, girl, hmm… Umm… Do you have something you’d like to share with us? LOL. I haven’t read this one yet. But the description sounds like it will be another one to love. Can you tell us a little bit about the book and what made you want to write about a serial killer?


MB: Writing TRIPPIN’ was so much fun. I wondered if I could write from a serial killer’s perspective but from the feedback and reviews I’ve received I guess I’ve done my job! I don’t know what it is, but I’ve had killers in both of my books. Must be some aggression I need to get out. LOL. I got the idea for my book based on the fact that in one month as I was trying to come up with a book idea, I met two people that belonged to travel clubs and they were on opposite ends of the age spectrum. Also, I’ve been on group-sponsored trips and I’ve seen for myself when people go on vacation and throw caution to the wind. They act out in ways they normally wouldn’t, not expecting their dirt to come back home to haunt them. That’s what happens to the characters in my book and the result is an explosive literary ride from which the characters never recover.

GB: I’ve read that you also write screenplays? Can you talk a little about moving between these two forms of writing? Does your screenwriting experience influence your fiction writing and vice versa?

MB: I love writing screenplays. The writing styles are so very different. You have to be able to get to the heart of a scene quickly with a script, whereas with fiction writing sometimes you can meander a little bit. Also, screenwriting influences my novel writing because with screenplays the dialogue has to sound realistic and it has to be strong. Also, when there are multiple characters you have to make sure every character’s “voice” is distinct. All of this only helps strengthen my fiction novel writing.

GB: What are you working on now? Can you share a bit about some of the things you have coming up in the future?

MB: Right now I’m working on book number three which will be released in fall 2008. The small paperback version of TRIPPIN’ will be released in summer 2008. Also, I’m revising a Christmas-themed screenplay based on an interested producer’s notes. And I wrote an essay about a friend that died of cancer that was included in the 2000 SOULS OF MY SISTERS anthology – a collection of real stories written by black women for black women. The book touches on ageism, racism, sexism, body image, money management, love and a variety of other issues. It’s a great self-help type book that will be re-released soon and if folks missed out on it the first time, I suggest they check out the updated, revised version.

GB: Do you have any suggestions for good books to read? I already know you have the good stuff. So, I’d like to know what you read? Who are some of your favorite authors? And what are you reading right now?

MB: I helped out with publicity late last month at the Romantic Times conference in Houston and I think as a result of that, I’m going through an erotic reading phase right now. (Must have been something in the air at the conference.) Right now and in the near future, I’ll be reading Black Door by Velvet and Midnight Confessions by Bonnie Edwards. I also have on my list to read Ishmael Beah’s touching memoir, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. Some of my FAVORITE AUTHORS include Bebe Moore Campbell, Eric Jerome Dickey, Carl Weber, Donna Hill, Terry McMillan, and Bernice McFadden. Additionally, I like period piece writing and I love Edith Wharton who creates strong, moral, duty-bound female characters. House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence are two of my favorites. Finally, I like reading business biographies and memoirs, because I believe nothing is more fascinating than the drama that happens in real life. Two of my all–time favorite memoirs are Willow Weep for Me, a heart-wrenching memoir about Meri Nana-Ama Danquah’s battle with depression (this was the first book that I read that actually made me cry). Plus, I liked Pulitzer Prize winning NY Times journalist Rick Bragg’s beautiful tribute to his mother, All Over But the Shouting (another tear jerker).

GB: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

MB: First off, I suggest they write, write, write, write! Talking about writing and wanting to write is not going to get you published. I suggest they stay positive and watch who they share their desire to write with, because not everyone will be happy for them. To have a lofty dream of being published, it helps to have a healthy belief that all things are possible, so the last thing you need is someone telling you that you can’t do it. I firmly believe any aspiring writer should do as much reading about the craft as they can. Plus, they should really learn the business side of things and develop all the contacts they can. Finally, I think in order to be a successful writer, you have to read – all types of genres. That way you learn in a practical way what does and doesn’t work when it comes to creating a good story.

GB: How can readers best contact you?

MB: Readers can reach me by emailing me at prgalkc@hotmail.com. They can also check out my blog: www.michellebuckleyblog.blogspot.com and they can visit my website www.michellebuckley.com. Additionally, they can visit me at Myspace at www.myspace.com/michelle_buckley and they can even check out my online store and purchase great Bulletproof Soul and Trippin’ merchandise at www.cafepress.com/michellebuckley. (Okay, I’m done . . . commercial over! J)

GB: Thanks so much for stopping by, Michelle. It’s been a pleasure!

MB: Gwen, you asked some great questions. Thanks for the interview and continued success to you with your writing! See ya on bookstore shelves.

16 comments:

Kimber Li said...

I loved what you said about the importance of titles. I think Bulletproof's title is awesome and I LOVED the first book cover. Why did they change the cover?

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Gwyneth -
another great interview, and more books I need to purchase (table groaning)....

Blessings...
angelia

Michelle said...

The first cover was kind of racy -- had a kneeling naked woman's full back on the cover. Some outlets wouldn't order it because of the original cover. Publisher thought they'd change cover so more family friendly chains like Walmart would order it. The same thing happened with Pamela Anderson's fiction novel...see I'm learning every day...for the record I like both covers. Check out link below for first trade paperback cover:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189319616X/ref=cm_arms_pdp_dp/103-9348305-4351023

Michelle said...

Ramblings...start with Trippin'... you won't be disappointed. It's a fast paced read! Glad you enjoyed the interview

Michelle said...

Gwyneth -- this interview was fun...girl you had me thinking. Your question about titles and where my ideas come from were really good. Again thanks for posting this interview. I'll have to return the favor...

Michelle said...

duh...Kimber An forgive me...the first cover is actually included in this post. It's the first image below my picture.

Acvernon...can't wait for your interview with Gwyneth.

Angelia Vernon Menchan said...

Me either, Gwyneth is an interviewing Goddess...I am going to get Trippin' thanks Michelle

angelia

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kimber An and Angelia! Angelia, that's why I love doing these interviews, so that everyone else will have the same huge out of control to-be-read pile that I have.

Michelle, thanks for the great interview. I put both covers up because I have the original cover and I like both. :-)

much love and peace,

Gwyneth

Kimber Li said...

Oh, I thought the pink cover, the one with your name in the comments was the first cover. That's the one I love. I didn't like the naked back one at all. To me, it says 'sex and violence.' The pink one visually speaks of the story's essence, I think.

Michelle said...

Kimber An -- a lot of people think that about the "back" cover. They think that it's about sex and violence but here's what was really going through my mind. The title Bulletproof Soul speaks to both strength and vulnerability. The nakedness of the woman is there to underscore her vulnerability and ability to expose herself for who she truly is without limitations. When are we more vulnerable than when we're naked? The bullet holes represent metaphorically a woman under attack -- which at some point in our lives every woman feels or experiences that. Of course, this was the thinking of a writer with way too much time on her hand. Readers will probably glance at it in stores and say -- oh, this book must be about sex and violence. LOL

Gwyneth Bolton said...

I actually love both covers for different reasons. The cover of the first one, as well as the title, made me buy it. It didn't make me think of sex and violence because the title made me think it would be deeper than that... must be the "Soul" part... Anyway, I like the thoughts you offer about the first cover, Michelle. I wonder if that's what the folks in marketing were thinking... ;-)

Gwyneth

PatriciaW said...

Another good interview, Gwyneth. I haven't read any of Michelle's books yet but both covers are intriguing and the blurbs have caught my interest.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Thanks for stopping by, Patricia! I loved BULLETPROOF SOUL and recommend it to all. I can't wait to read TRIPPIN'.

Gwyneth

Anonymous said...

Gwyneth, great interview! Thank you. And, Michelle, I'm very impressed. I look forward to reading your books. Best wishes for continued success.

Gwyneth Bolton said...

Patricia ~ Thanks for stopping by... I'm getting your questions ready... ;-)

Gwyneth

Michelle said...

Gwyneth -- laffing at you about the marketing comment.

Patricia W. -- I hope you check them out and let me know what you think. Start with Trippin'. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Patricia Sargeant -- thanks for your kind words. I look forward to reading your interview.